View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
aries323

HI

Interesting read indeed.

I, however, am not convinced that the point & click adventure genre is dead (like Ragnar seems to think).

If yoou look at the games out there, only Ragnar seems to think so. I say this because all the adventure games released this year uses point & click interface: SF:Tunguska, BS:4, Sratches,
Intrigue at Oakhaven Plantation, Keepsake etc. etc. All except for one: Dreamfall - TLJ.

A number of these adventure games is played in 1st person, but still uses the traditional
point & click interface.Imho, thisgives more sense and meaning in an adventure game in which you have to solve varius puzzles to get the story moving and as well as get the characters to interact.

Apparantly, Ragnar think it is the other way around: First you make a story, then you throw some puzzles into this story, and then you have an adventure game. In one part of the interviw he says that it is the story, the interactions and such that makes an adventure.

I partly agree with this, but I would stress that an adventure games first and foremost needs goof solvable puzzles that makes you think.
It does not need to be an FPS subverted into an adventure/puzzle game as Ragnar obviously thinks it does.

He also needs to understand that the adventure game market always has been a niche market. And that ne needs to cater to his niche market: If the niche marked wants point & click interface, then this is what they should get.

The Myst and the Zork series as well as Scratches etc. have proven that you can have a fully 3D world as well as a point and click interface.

Maybe Ragnar would like to move the genre (or his game) in the direction of the Myst games ??
(with both fully 3D worlds as well as full 3D characters which, imho, look terrible and awful).

Or maybe he just want to make movies instead of games, since he thinks that point & click adventures is dead. My bet is that he thinks that adventure games should be interactive fiction games in which the story just plays out before the players eyes, and then at certain crucial points the gamer has to decide if he or she wants to go left or right i.e. what action to take. If this is what he wants to do, then by all means, do it.

I know, I'm not going to play such a game. However, a dvd-video with this kind of interaction would be nice, imo...

aries323