View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #409
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear you,

It started raining today. Rather hard, might I add - it felt like I was back home in Vancouver. Stupidly, I rode my bike to work as I always do, and now I'm uncomfortably wet. It feels like I've peed my pants or something. Not fun.

The rain is yet another ominous reminder of the fact that in two months, I will actually be back home in Vancouver, studying. My life will be exactly as it was before I ran off to California and made my dreams come true. At least outwardly. Inwardly, I'm a completely different person from who I was last April.

It looks more and more likely that when I get back, I'm going to be living with my parents again. Which isn't all that bad, as I actually like my parents, but it'll still be an adjustment from living seven months in relative quietude with a nice and reasonably unobtrusive housemate. A good friend of mine I've known since grade eight (probably my only friend from high school who's still my friend) has offered to share her studio apartment with me for about a third of what I pay for rent now. This sounds like a rather attractive option, considering that it's closer to school; at my parents', I require at least a 45-minute commute to get there.

But then, the thing is, my friend's the kind of person who hates being alone, which is the reason she wants a roommate so badly in the first place. I'm the exact opposite - good, quality quiet alone time is a requirement for me where I live. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to handle not having my own bedroom and bathroom. This is coupled by the fact that I'll likely have to get a part-time job if I live with my friend, an unattractive prospect because a) when I'm at school, I'd rather keep my focus on school, and b) after having worked at Telltale, any job I have from this point forward is going to make me depressed.

Of course, I could just rent my own place, but then I'd definitely have to get a job. And I can't commit to staying anywhere for more than four months, seeing as I have another work term to do next summer which could be spent who-knows-where.

So, if I live with my parents, it'll be cheaper and I won't have to worry as much. I think I'll be able to handle it. After all, since my brother's off at university in Victoria and my sister's now in high school, things are likely to be a lot quieter than they were before I left. Sure, they don't understand my need for alone time any more than my friend probably would, but at least, having lived with me for a good couple of decades, they know about it and are less likely to think me a misanthrope for it.

And besides, it'll only be four months.

Turrah for now,
Me