View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #19
samIamsad
capsized.

rlpw, I like your "Don't believe in everything / question every info you're being told the second you're being presented with it" attitude, especially in this day and age where media and infotainment are king and ruler of them all, but I don't know what to make out of the rest.

For example:

Quote:
Fact #1: Most folks do not reallize what the largest producer of greenhouse gasses, pollution, ozone depleting chemicals, and carbon monoxide isn't human beings but the Earth herself. The actual ejection of material from man is less than 1% of the total that comes from volcanic and storm activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Myth: Manmade chlorine is insignificant compared to natural sources

Another objection occasionally voiced is that It is generally agreed that natural sources of tropospheric chlorine (volcanoes, ocean spray, etc.) are four to five orders of magnitude larger than man-made sources. This falls into the "true but irrelevant" category as tropospheric chlorine is irrelevant; it is stratospheric chlorine that matters. The chlorine from ocean spray is in the form HCl and is soluble; it never reaches the stratosphere. CFCs, in contrast, are insoluble and long-lived and hence do reach the stratosphere. Even in the lower atmosphere there is more chlorine present in the form of CFCs and related haloalkanes than there is in HCl from salt spray, and in the stratosphere the organic source gases dominate overwhelmingly. This includes the CFCs and methyl chloride, which has both natural and man made sources. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion)

Quote:
There is no way for the world to run out of resources.
Well, that's a theory brought up by you now, yet, care to PROVE that? Kidding. The way the world and everything around you is working right now, really everything is almost completeley dependent on ressources that are going to run out eventually. With the ever ongoing rise of demands for all of these ressources, rather sooner than later. There's a reason to be at least a tiny little bit worried, even if all of this will possibly/probably/definitely(?) not affect you in your lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Even if the ground opened up and the fires of hell shot out and enveloped an entire country, we'd probably just keep driving our SUVs saying "thank god it didn't happen to us." Throughout our entire lives we've been hammered over the head that bigger is better, and more is cheaper. Everywhere you go there are ads telling us to buy useless shit and what do we do? We buy it? Because we don't know anything else anymore. There's no such thing as spiritual enlightenment in the west anymore. Instead we seek to improve the quality of our lives through consumption.
That's true, and... oh man, I hope I won't get bashed to hell and back for saying this, but, come to think of it, lovely stuff like Katrina just didn't have the punch. No way. It was too local a catastrophe, it didn't directly affect anyone but people inhabiting that area, hell it wasn't even anything you haven't heard about earlier or even earlier that year before, which probably made it even easier for people not to link it to a climate change. A possible link which hasn't even been proved yet. Maybe even something of the scale of 9/11 isn't really enough (very likely so). We're talking big catastrophe here, not something out of the 6 billion people of people on Earth who even own one of these see on TV thinking "a-hah" and then switching over to the umpteenth re-run of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", munching potatoe chips all along. I'm exaggerating here for a reason, maybe. Just in case anybody feels offended reading something like this in the same paragraph that brought up 9/11. Again.

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-25-2006 at 10:34 AM.