View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white View Post
By the way, I'm amazed at an argument that comes up with condemning the big bad corporations and making them responsible for the mess. If it weren't for us consumers, these guys wouldn't sell as much as one SUV on this planet. It's all about supply and DEMAND. Not to say we should regress to Stone Age but let's just stop bloody boosting our egos with SUVs, electric everything, light and heating orgies and more of that energy-craving atmosphere-killing show-off shyte (see Curt's list above! Not only sensible but also darling money saving).
People are lemmings, and they follow what is convenient for them. If there were no FUV's, people would buy cars just like everyone else. I was amazed at for example one car company who would give you very cheap gas only if you buy one of their big cars. Why? Because high gas prices were starting to become an important aspect of people's decision in buying cars, and big car corps benefit from selling FUV's more than cars.

Government also plays a role in it. When they started giving tax breaks for hybrid cars and allowing hybrid owners to drive in the carpool lane, the number of hybrid cars starting increasing (especially with the gas price increase). But now the government is removing the tax break, and in California, Arnold is revoking the law that allows hybrid owners to drive in the carpool lane.

On another note, it sickens me how everyday I open my mail box in my apartment complex, and see it full with junk paper advertisements for supermarket store deals, or credit card applications (how many credit cards can a human being possibly own). When I grab these paper advertisements to throw them in the recycling bin, I see the huge bin full to the very top with these advertisements, and I think of how many trees they cut and wasted, just to make a little more money.

Firefox rules