View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #14
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Agreed. It's quite unfortunate and a little pathetic that the global economy relies on a non-renewable natural resource.
I remember a day when my mom was scared shitless after she saw a show on TV about the whole Ozone hole story years ago. "I would never give birth to a child in a World like this anymore," she used to say. Yet, it seemed she quickly forgot about all of that and just lived on like usual.

Coincidentally my parents will be getting a central heating based on water heating and powered by elecricity very soon. Sure, this elecricity could very well be entirelly coming from power plants burning fossil fuels like hell, but you never know. In any case, the important thing is that they don't do this for environmental reasons, as far as I know. The old oil heating needs to be replaced, and since the prices for oil have exploded anyway during the last years...

The point I want to get across is that no one will change much of anything, until they are, or at least feel forced to do so. Hey, I'm certainly not counting myself out here! Absolutely. Not. I'm just like everybody else! The thing is, the whole issue is still something that can be seen on TV, late at night, sometimes in the news, talk shows - it's vague, it's far away, it doesn't have an impact on anyone, heck if I didn't watch TV, I wouldn't even know it existed at all. This may sound cruel to some, but to get things moving, environmental protection badly needs its very own 9/11 to ever take seriously off. The eye-opener that gets people thinking, making them realize that this isn't something vague shown on TV occasionally, but indeed something serious.

Only that, by that point, it might be very well too late. You never know.