View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #12981
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Thread™ (2005-2006)
A EULOGY

I'd like you to think, if you will, of the longest forum topic imaginable. Pretty big, huh? Well, today we gather to pay our respects to one of the biggest of the big. A thread that was larger than life. A big cheese in a small world. The Thread™ has featured its last post, and as we sound the last post today the reality of just how much we are already missing it dawns on us.

The Thread™ came into being in December, 2005, and tragically passed away just a few days ago. And, to me, it leaves a deep sense of loss. I'd watched it grow and blossom into life. Post after post of inane gibberish that brought a spark of interest to the dull world in which we live, and that made us all - I think - slightly more glad to be alive. Watching it wither and die, and watching the desperation of many of those who weren't RLacey attempting in vain to put the Thread™ out of the misery in which it found itself, was a harrowing experience.

I was walking through central Oxford a couple of weeks back, on my way to lunch, when I happened to stumble upon a new shop opening on the High Street. It was a joke shop, and my immediate thought upon stepping inside and glancing at the assortment of oddities on display was that the Thread™ would love it. It is my greatest regret that I never got to speak about it, but I think it important to state the following: the Thread™ always liked a laugh, and the world will be a slightly less joyful place now that it's over.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.