View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #1691
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimli View Post
Must say though, that The Fountain is totally different than I expected it to be, much smaller and more intimate than the trailers made me believe it to be. Still, the end result was very good, with Jackman and Weisz on fire and Aronofsky delivering awesome images, in a story about love transcending time and space. Loved every minute of it.
Funny, I didn't feel it was about love stronger than time and space. On the contrary, I thought the main message was that people should concentrate on here and now, because the dreams of eternal life, eternal love, etc. are ultimately un-human. I guess the variety of possible interpretations is a sign of a good movie, though.

I agree about the acting - especially Hugh Jackman, whom I hadn't thought much of until The Fountain, delivered the best performance in his career so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin View Post
I love the subject matter though. It's hard to come by thoughtful sci-fi movies.
It's definitely good, and thoughtful. But I wouldn't place it in the sci-fi genre at all. Perhaps fantasy (Ã* la Neverending Story), but even that with reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe View Post
Did it have flashy editing to slick music? That's what I disliked about Pi and Requiem, and I'm worried he just slaps it on everything.
None that I can think of. That said, I don't think your description fits Pi at all, so maybe our definitions of "flashy editing" differ. I actually think all three Aronofsky's films are very different from each other visually/stylistically, although every one of them is impressive.