View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #1682
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
If movies could only be interpreted by how well they reflect reality or believability, then what would be the point? It is completely unrealistic, in fact the whole movie is unrealistic, but it isn't really trying to be realistic in the first place, in that way at least. I mean, notice how there's not one "real" person in the movie, all of Boston is either part of the underworld or part of the law enforcement; it never tries to be a slice-of-life. It's still an interesting story/premise.
It was a more interesting story/premise in the original without the love triangle. That's all I'm saying. The Damon character in the original, played by Andy Lau, had a girlfriend. However, this girl wasn't also sleeping with Tony Leung, the DiCaprio of the original. Much was the same though. The girl heard the tape that Tony Leung sent and she puts it on the speakers for Andy Lau to hear. Then she leaves him.

Quote:
In typical action movies, whatever, they die and what-not but what I mean is that they are essentially one-dimensional characters. They do not ever consider their actions and think entirely in terms of power and greed, which I refuse to believe is how real people act. They die, but die without really regretting their horrible actions. Now I haven't seen Infernal Affairs, but what you seemed to say is that the Damon character in it gets away with it and learns nothing from it (you'll have to correct me if that's not the case).
In the original, Lau regrets his actions. He shows this much better than Damon did. Instead of revealing some sort of angle about Costello being an FBI informant so Damon kills him, the original has Lau kill his boss (in the same scene; phone rings and the men are led to each other in a parking garage) simply because he wants to stop being a mole. Plus, at the end of the original, when Lau kills the other mole it has more weight than in the remake. When Damon kills the mole, he appears to just be covering his tracks. In the original, it comes across as almost being revenge for the mole killing Tony Leung.

Quote:
Damon isn't really the "villain," anyway. He's one of the protagonists, both sharing a rather Greek tragic storyline. Costello is the villain if anything, and he doesn't really do much developing throughout, so there you go.
Kinda thought the tragic storyline was done a bit better in the original too. Heh. Costello was just too much, as I said before, and toward the end all of the headshots were more comical than effective. My audience laughed, and I hear reports of the same thing happening in theaters across the country.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 10-15-2006 at 12:59 PM.