View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 02:59 AM   #11
marsan

Win98 doesn't like my new PC :-( it just keeps crashing when it detects my hardware, and the drivers I got for my motherboard only works on Win2000 and WinXP. But emulation makes practically all old games work. The only problem is sometimes the problem of speed... sometimes the games run very fast or won't start because it needs some special functions dosbox doesn't have. VDMSound works also very well on quite many games. The hardest games to get started are those made for late DOS or early Windows.

Especially games made between Windows 95 and 98 can be a pain in the bum. Because they sometimes use own unsupported features in Windows, or has so much extensions in DOS that they are hard to emulate. It's been a while since I've tried getting Kings Quest: Mask of Eternity to work on Windows XP, but last time I tried there were a lot of bugs I got later in the game. Apparently it uses some features that is very hard to emulate.

But sure, it's easier to just buy an old PC and play games on that one if that's a big problem. It's not hard to get a hold of somebody who has an old PC sitting around, and who are willing to part with it for less than 50 bucks.