View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #70
bysmitty
Bad command or file name

@ rlp: First off, can you post as detailed specs of your hardware as you can. Also, please expand on the issue a little. Does it fully crash the computer or just the program? Is there any sort of specific error message? Can you think of any sort of hardware or software changes that occurred around the time that this started happening?

The first thing I would try would be to search out the latest drivers for both the video card and soundcard. Also, make sure you try a known working video card in the computer and see if the problem persists before we rule out a bad video card.

As for the power supply, generally speaking, 200w should be able to handle your card, depending on your other hardware, though it will be pretty close to being maxed out. Each power supply company rates their wattage differently so 200w may be a high or low estimate compared to real world use. I can't say if the power supply is the culprit yet or not. If you want to pick up a new one just to find out for certain, this one offers plenty of power, is reliable, and cheap. Replacing a power supply can be intimidating but is generally fairly simply to do. You open up the case, unplug the existing power supply from all the devices, pull it out, pop in the new one, connect up all the devices again, tuck the extra cables out of the way, and boot ‘er back up.

…bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!