View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #65
Tiocfaidh

Hi there !

Just finished Broken Sword - Angel of Death.

Well, well what´s to say ?

If you´re just interested in my opinion concerning BS4, please skip the next three paragraphs

I´m a huge Broken Sword fan since I´ve played BS1 for the very first time about ten years ago. I´ve completed that game at least six times from start to finish. I still think it´s brilliant story telling and features many memorable characters.

But I´m rather a fan of the first game than of the entire series.
The Smoking Mirror already left much to be desired IMO.
It felt too rushed, gone was the intriguing Templar vs Assasin storyline enter mumbo chambo Aztec Demon throwaway script.
It went downhill, right after the Marseille Docks section ...
Though it´s point n´click adventuring in it´s purest form, the second part is still my least favourite of the bunch.

The Sleeping Dragon was a bit more charming than TSM. Despite the console like handling, the "Sokoban" overkill and the laughable climax it was pretty enjoyable. With the Voynich manuscript, an underground St. Stefan Order, dragon lines, the return of the Grand Master etc. the story had some strong elements to keep the player interested.

Finally I got me hands on the fourth installement.
I absolutely forgot about the game till I saw the intro movie on youtube.com, checkin amazon I found out that the game is just about to be released. I was excited, to say the least.

It all started out fine, I liked the idea of George dowin´"dirty work" to earn his money. Anna Maria shows up, mafia goons as well ...
OK, let´s get outta here.
That´s where the In-game engine comes into operation.
And that´s where the trouble starts
I don´t know if ´my PC´s too crappy for that kinda game (I think NOT) but the mouse cursor doesn´t move exactly like it should.
Hmmm, why is Goerge always bumpin into walls instead walkin through the open doorway. Oh the camera moved an inch to the right. I suppose that´s why my mouse command is obsolete now.
I get the idea that it would be better to move George with the keyboard and control the rest by mouse.
What kind of Point n´Click is that ?!?!

Even worse than the controls are the LOADING times.
Or should I say L O A D I N G . . . (repeat ca. 20 times) . After some time I wasn´t sure If accidentally popped the DVD into my PS2. I checked the walkthrough about 4 times, just to avoid the LOADING ... times after f*#%$n up one of those timed/stealth sequences.

The game has it´s strong points. No doubt about that.
This was the first BS game I played with ENGLISH audio. I played the German dubbed predecessors but now I had the choice, and chose Anglais. I´m glad that I did.
Rolf Saxon is an awesome voice actor ! Some of the clever writing combined with Saxon´s talent even had me in stitches from time to time.
Just one example: When George maneuveres himself into an embarrassing conversation with the hotel receptionist he clumsily changes subjects by saying "Istanbul, what a city, WHAT A CITY !"
On paper > not funny, I agree but with Saxon´s acting the line becomes comedy gold.
Nico on the other hand was a let down. I was used to the superb German voice actress,
but the forced French accent got on my nerves in no time.
The bottom line is that the localisation was very good for the most part.

I was pleasently surprised by most of the puzzle design.
Of course, some of them were uninspired, but tell me a single adventure game w/o those ... Best of the bunch are the Manuscripts.
Except for the Fleur de lis pattern it was comprehensible.
I love these kind of puzzles, where you have to examine and decipher inventory very carefully. Reminded me in the broadest sense of the excellent Gabriel Knight SIDNEY puzzles.
The PDA hacking was fun too, but wore thin after the 5th or 6th time.
Furthermore I was too lazy to read the manual, so I missed out on the double mirrors etc. at first.

In an adventure game the storyline stands above all other things.
IMO it´s the most important "ingredient".
Unfortunately BS4´s story didn´t tap full potential.
Never. I mean Never EVER ...
There were some intriguing tidbits scattered throughout the game.
But only very few in between
So much potential, so much potential.
Wasted.
Characters who (in the end) turn out to be pivotal to the story, but already are forgotten because the failed to leave a mark.
Characters pop up and disappear for no appearant reason.
Like Archie in the final act disguised as DEUS EX MACHINA.
And don´t get me started on
Spoiler:
Duane Henderson. I never liked that character to begin with. But it´s not just him. The entire BLACK CAT sequence was a farce. The low point of the game. Duane pops up babbling lots of conspiratorial stuff and then hides UNDER THE SAUNA
And what´s up with that guy (?) in the room where George is held captive ?
You remember that guy who obviously "cleans up" after one of Georgies failed attempts and locks himself in a box afterwards. I mean WTF ?!?!
Was that Revolution Software´s attempt to infuse the series with Monty Pythonesque humour ?
Sorry fellow programmers, you failed ...
As many other posters already mentioned, the entire production seems to be half-baked. Maybe it´s been time or/and money restraints but the game never begins to "pick up", and when it seems to become interesting, it comes to a sudden halt.
BS1´s story developed, guided you from A to B to C etc. this one is just all over the place.

Anybody interested in my opinion on the ending sequence ?
Sorry, can´t remember one ...

Sooooooooooo ...
It would be unfair if I´d tell you that I didn´t have fun with the game.
I had. Occassionally. But the technical issues (performance, loading times, mouse cursor etc.) and the (for the most part) unimaginative story left a smack of disappointment (if that´s proper English).

These are my initial impressions.
I may change my opinion after some time.
I dunno

Let´s discuss

Last edited by Tiocfaidh; 10-08-2006 at 12:55 PM.