View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #12361
Jelena
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
But back on the subject. I am still always in strong belief that if you ever give up your abiltiy to defend yourself to others then all you do is turn into sheep that are fat for the slaughter. I am not in the NRA or anything but this is my opinion. A public that has the ability to arm itself keeps things like totalitarian governments,(ie; Khmer Rouge, Military takeovers, direct military assault from other countries.) from ever having a chance to take control. This is thought by some to be an archaic stance but it is historically accurate. Just ask any country who tried to take over another when every farmer was shooting at you.
So you're afraid that the US will violently be taken over by another country? That's doesn't seem to be the most likely scenario. I understand people being afraid of terrorist attacs. I too, living in pretty much peaceful Sweden worry about it when planning vacations for instance. Some places are just ruled out for me since I fear that I would end up where a bomb might go off.

Isn't the fact that the reason why people get guns is to defend themselves to intruders, robbers, kidnappers etc. --> other people with guns?