View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 03:58 AM   #12355
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
And, like with any tool, you can put it to the responsible, logical role it was meant for. Use it wrongly, and yes, someone might get wounded, or killed.
A gun is a tool - made for shooting things. A screwdriver is a tool - made for fixing things. A bassoon is also a tool - made for making music. More people with bassoons means more potential for music. More people with screwdrivers means more potential for fixing things. More people with guns means more potential for shooting things.

Even if we disregard the kinds of guns made for the only purpose of shooting humans (which, weird enough, usually is the kind defended with the argument you use), the right use of the tool is still to shoot things. I'm not against hunting or such things, but I still think that screwdriver comparision that's so common is a fair bit off. Sure, you can kill something with a screwdriver, but most guns are designed to kill things. Big difference.