View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #18
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich

Actually, I have worked in the entertainment industry doing live productions. If someone wanted to bring in a video camera and film my show, all the power to them. Maybe they will show it to someone else who will then come and see the show. It is like paying for advertising. The losses can often turn into gains through word of mouth. Piracy has always existed and forever will. Even the whole mp3 thing is a joke to me. And I say that as someone who used to be a musician. Hmm. I guess I still am one, technically.
Your firsthand example is interesting, but not really completely analogous. If people have a pirated game, it's not free advertising, it's the product itself. In your case, people might be inspired to come see the show and get the full experience, but in the case of games, once people have it, that's it. They don't need to be inspired to do anything else, since they can already play the game and enjoy it. It might be argued that some people then go out and buy legitimate copies to obtain the box and instructions, but I'm sure the number of people who do this is so small as to be irrelevant.
I agree. It's not like sneaking a video cam into a much lauded production of Das Rheingold and then trying to sell copies of the tape, because the recording is not the product itself, it's the live performance. I still stand by my argument, it is a crime, the punishment befits it, and the bastard deserves what he got. Let him be an example for others.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-12-2004 at 05:09 PM.