View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
Such naughty Mac users. You would think if you could afford a Mac (I wish I could ATM) you would have no problem buying a game. Although, maybe that is the VERY reason.

Seriously though, you can't make a correlation between the number of downloaded games and the loss of profit. I know many people who DL the warez version to see if they like it and then go and buy the game. Especially nowadays, when demos often come after the release of the game.
There may not be a direct pound-for-pound correlation, but there is a correlation nonetheless. Especially in the case Jake gave, I think that's pretty clear. There's no way to scientifically quantify it, but I think it's pretty obvious that if everyone can get a game for free, a lot of people who would otherwise buy it will simply get it for free (or buy a pirated copy for dirt cheap). Not EVERYONE of course, nor a fixed number that is the same in all cases, but most definitely many people.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright