View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #1645
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
So what does 2001 actually offer? Some pretty visuals for an overly long running time and a plot that makes no sense? Perhaps I am shallow; I can happily accept that some people see it as art, but I just find it all a bit pointless. I didn't walk away from the film thinking anything other than that it was incredibly boring.
I won't answer that question as OAV already did, and probably more eloquently than I could. But yea, what 2001 offers isn't the list of typical movie conventions I listed earlier. It's a movie that relishes in ideas and imagery to convey said ideas. But unlike typically cynical and pessimistic intellectual fare, 2001 is very optimistic and hopeful. The last shot was a grand exit for Bowman the human, as he became the next evolution for man.

This is the kind of movie whose every frame could be studied, much like Kubrick's own Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut. He puts so much effort into making every shot convey so many things. His movies aren't typically made for the masses, or at least appreciated fully by the masses (post Strangelove, anyway).