View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #1644
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
So what does 2001 actually offer? Some pretty visuals for an overly long running time and a plot that makes no sense?
RLacey, there's nothing necessarily wrong with your opinion, but given the fact that you think the plot makes no sense, perhaps you should watch it again. It makes perfect sense, it just refuses to spoon feed the viewer like so many bloated Hollywood epics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Regardless of whether that was his message or not, it left me as a viewer feeling bored rather than thoughtful. It didn't work.
There are plenty of people who have watched 2001 because of its reputation, rushing to see it and coming away disappointed. I believe they go into it with the wrong mindset. I can think of only Tarkovasky's Solaris when I think of films that share the leisurely pace of 2001 in the sci/fi genre, most sci/fi films are interested in action scenes over ideas. 2001 is a film of riches that don't all emerge on the first, or even second, viewing. Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. 2001's place in film history can't be changed. It's legendary and influential. A classic. So obviously...it worked for someone. Heh.