View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #296
Davies

One puzzle that my husband will never let me forget was in the Amiga game Metal Mutant - not strictly an adventure, sort of a platformy action-adventury thing. Your character is a robot that acquires the ability to change to different forms, each with different special abilities.

At one point you have to get through a room where there is a ferocious monster that attacks relentlessly. The only way to defend against the monster is to use your shield ability, which gives total protection but immobilises you. The only thing you can do while the shield is up is to release a tiny insect-sized drone that has no fighting ability.

When you enter the room, you have a second or two to react. I tried everything in that second or two. Nothing worked. You can't kill the monster, you can't jump over it, nothing. And as I sat there glumly immobile with my shield up, my husband (who has no interest in computer games) said:
Spoiler:
"What's that little button on the wall?"

That was 12 or 15 years ago now, and he still reminds me regularly of how he rescued a game for me.

Last edited by Davies; 09-24-2006 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Make spoiler invisible