View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #293
cmw

Hey guys, I'm new to the board (as a matter of fact, I only registered to be able to tell you this story^^).

I still consider that as the most ingenius "puzzle" ever to be umm... "exist" in a game lol.

I'm talking about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger
While not a particulary good game, I still could enjoy it (for I'm a Trekkie^^)

But at one point quite close to the end, I was supposed to activate a hologram. However, whenever I did that just another hologram would appear. At first I thought I had to somehow fix something, because the other hologram was referring to some... problems.

However, after countless hours of mindlessly running around, trying to find something new, I consulted a walkthrough, which told me that I shall activate the hologram. Nothing else. Umm. I then restarted the game and followed the walkthrough to the letter. Still, the hologram would not activate properly. I got a litte bit confused then.

In some rare moment of geniosity, the thought appeared to my mind "what if it's some bug?" I then compared the contents of the CD's to the files on my harddrive and actually, there was one single file (with the name of the hologram) missing from the HD, whereas it would be on the CD. After copying said file, the hologram would activate without further delay.

Normally, such a thing should piss you off extremely hard, but the moment I saw that holo come up, I just began to laugh so hard, because, if that would have been done deliberatly, it would've been somehow extremly genius, and even somehow fitting into the Trek theme.

For the most frustrating puzzle, apart from that: The Bet-Puzzle from Grim Fandango. I have read like a dozen walkthroughs on it and I'm still not able to grasp the concept behind the puzzle.