View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
So, you mark the games from this point of view then? That's strange. I can't recommend ANY classical adventure to most of today's gamers, simply because they won't understand it. Why this should influence my mark, even if the game has historical value? After all, this is an adventure site, not some kind of gamespot or other trash that demands adventures to follow modern standarts. This IS a nostalgic site, that's why it still gives reviews of oldies.

Modern standards? As many people frequently point out, not a whole lot has changed since 1992.

Judging older games is always a balancing act. All AG writers take a game's historical context into consideration, and obviously technical limitations are largely excused (no voices, low resolution, etc.). But a game's defining criteria (gameplay, story, characters, etc.) must stand the test of time to be of any value to gamers today.

I'm not exactly sure how this relates to Ween, though. Is there something in the review that suggests the game is being discriminated against because of its age?