View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #33
Jelena
Lazy Bee

Thanks for your replies. Just a few comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That depends on socio-economic position and lifestyle choice.
In this case these teachers were well educated, working in a private school.
Quote:
Many Americans eat a great deal of junk food (I call it garbage), and for a number of reasons. One of them is the chosen lack of time due to work schedules and, if they're parents, the inconvenience of cooking at home (which takes time). So they're more likely to go to McDonald's or order in from Domino's Pizza.
Having worked full time (45 h/week) for almost 20 years, also during the years were my kids were younger I know what it's like to have busy family life, but I've always liked cooking and have tried hard to have a cooked dinner every night for the family to eat together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I personally am pretty unfamiliar with swedish food, except for the slightly suspect meatballs at Ikea, which don't really count, so I'm not sure what I would expect a lunch to consist of, and might be inclined to come prepared.
That could of course explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw
Honestly your explaination of good food hardly ever gets served in schools here in the US not because the school lunch programs cannot afford it, it's because you cannot get the lil monsters to eat it.
I know what you're talking about since I teach myself. The food in Swedish schools have high quality, with a pretty good variety of meals, although I personally find that it's getting worse. Still there are dietitians who make the menues and make sure that the food is nutritious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Still another reason is what I call the culture of instant gratification, fueled by t.v. commercials for Taco Bell or Pizza Hut, especially when many of us are online, watching the game on t.v., or whatever, and we're too damn lazy to get off our asses and actually cook a meal from scratch or at the very least grab a bag of fresh baby carrots or celery from the fridge. We've developed a taste for garbage and the convenient way it's delivered to us.
One thing is to mistreat yourself with junk food, but giving your children too much of it and being a lousy role model for your children by snacking away on the wrong things.....it just makes me mad!