View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Acronyms aren't always a bad thing. In real-time chat, in particular, it's useful to use some acronyms that are generally well-known and abbreviate long phrases (like IIRC instead of "if I recall correctly" or AFAIK instead of "as far as I know", for instance.)

But I have to admit that in a *lot* of informal webspaces and chat logs, I see many people who abbreviate almost every word in a sentence. Furthermore they use IMHO (heh) silly abbreviations like "thx" instead of "thanks" or "u" instead of "you". 'Cause, you know, typing a whole extra two or three letters is just too hard. That's when it starts going from "useful" to "low intelligence-looking".

And, not to incur the wrath of the Pink, but I have to admit that even in the first situation above I'm not fond of "LOL" or "ROFL". Maybe it's just major overuse (and subsequent internal association with Net Teenybopper due to fanfic sites and the like), but they do make me cringe. I only use them when I'm being ironic and/or facetious.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."