View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #111
Melanie68
Super Moderator

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine:

I really enjoyed this game. Things that turned some off were the narrator's voice, Al's voice, the cutscenes and the risque (but not raunchy) humour. I thought the narrator was very funny and his back and forth with Al was terrific. There are some who will never get used to it. I did pretty quickly and he becomes a character with whom you get attached. The cutscenes, while not perfect, were a small part of the game and they didn't bother me. The locations were colorful and very pleasing to my eye. The puzzles were fun and I liked how Al stored his inventory. There was one puzzle that seemed a little tedious (made less so by the map feature for quick zooming between locations) and Chapter 9 may frustrate some. It's the last and suspensful and you can die a few times. It's helpful to save your game often here when you get the chance so if you happen to leave it you don't have to redo some things. With the dying, you get the 'Try Again' so it's not too frustrating. I also want to add that the navigation was vastly improved with the addition of exit icons to go to the next screen. There was one location that I didn't realize I could get to until I clicked the cross icon on it but the rest of the locations were readily apparent.

There is so much interactivity - many things to click on and examine and try. You can show your inventory to everyone and get their comments on it (it can occasionally give you a clue).

It had a terrific story, great characters, terrific humour and was loads of fun.

9/10

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-16-2006 at 07:14 PM.