View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #1614
Spiwak
is not wierd

I've been watching a bunch since I got down here and sadly haven't really bothered to post them here. But today I saw Cronenberg's eXistenZ, and it was sufficiently mind-boggling. I really do like him as a director, and have for a while now (I've seen almost all of his movies, but not quite all yet). Anyway, it's a reality-bending virtual reality Matrix-esque trip that in my opinion proves better than The Matrix. There is the standard Cronenbergian animatronic sex organs, this time in the form of living video game "pods" that plug via an umbilical cord into the spine (the orifice being homologous to the anus). Interestingly the "game" plays much like an adventure game; you have little free will and basically you have to say the right thing or do the right thing to get anywhere. But anyway of course there's some doubt over what's real and what's not all the way through it and the ending is satisfying albeit untidy. Not quite a Cronenberg masterpiece or anything, but a good mark in a pretty much stellar oeveur. I hope he does another animatronic, human body-themed movie soon.