Thread: Syberia sucks!
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #55
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives
I’m really hoping it gets better.
As I said in my review, it does (though the translation problems remain; blame Ubisoft for that).

Quote:
I get the feeling that the creators of something really good don’t understand how this was achieved because the follow-ups, by these same people, rarely meet the standards that they themselves have set.
As far as Paradise is concerned, I think it was a conscious choice. I feel Sokal wanted to do something different from Syberia. It has strong similarities with it, but the overall mood is very different, much darker (once again, I'm tempted to pimp my review ).

Still, I've always considered Sokal a dreadful designer when it comes to gameplay. He seems to have no interest in it whatsoever, and to just throw puzzles here and there, not because he thinks they're going to be fun, or useful to the story, but because he feels he has to put some here and there. In most games, you can sometimes, or even often, feel the designer having fun coming up with a clever challenge, waiting to see how the player will react. Never so with Sokal; he seems to treat gameplay as some sort of tedious, but necessary, chore. Still, he's a brilliant artist and story-teller, casting a very personal eye on his stories and characters, which have far more depth and relevance than the cheaply emotional, or just thrilling, stuff that usually passes off as good storytelling in games. And for that I guess I'm willing to put up with the uninspired gameplay.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]