View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #74
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
How do you know that the evil organization that blew up the towers from inside didn't fabricate these so-called "structural designs" that showed the building being poorly built?
How do you know you aren't just a brain in a jar being fed sensory data by a bunch of mad scientists? For that matter, since the existence of such a thing as a brain is based on past sensory data, how do you know any of the universe exists at all in the way you think you perceive it.

Basically your question is unanswerable not because you're right but because there will always be another "How do you know" beyond any answer. I could say I'd seen the plans beforehand. You'd say "How do you know the evil organisation didn't replace the plans well in advance?" I could say I'd toured the building and noticed the problems myself. You'd say "How do you know the tour wasn't run by the evil organisation with mock-up faults to lend credence to their story?" I could say I was responsible for the shoddy design. You'd say "You're part of the evil organisation".

In all honesty, the moment someone even uses the phrase "evil organisation" in this context it's clear they're not open to any sort or rational argument. You're arguing based on a proof that has no substance other than "What if" speculation. I refuse to waste my time arguing with someone who bases their opinion on lack of facts.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree