Thread: Syberia sucks!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #47
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323
I also think that the golden age of adventure games were 8-10 years ago with games like these:

KQ 4-7, Grim Fandango, Shivers 1-2, Monkey Island 1-3, Kyrandia 1-2, and Jack Orlando
(which actually is made by Jowood Production which now makes Gothic series).

Playing the Jack Orlando demo, I realized that such a game could or would not be made today.
The gameplay is way too complex, the puzzles are fairly hard, and you actually have to think about what you're doing - and the atmosphere in the game is clearly mature.
Actually, it was made by a company named Topware, who went on to develop Earth 21x0, a series of quite good RTSs (having bankrupted and been reborn as Reality Pump somewhere along the way).

However, Jack Orlando was horrible, IMO. Here is a thorough review that exactly echoes my thoughts about it. It's games like this, with tons of useless items to collect, forced puzzles and obscure dialogue trees, that, to me, (now watch closely as I pretend my post isn't off-topic at all ) make Syberia - a game with little "interactive density" - a welcomed change of pace (if it is done well in terms of art/atmosphere/story).