Thread: Syberia sucks!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #46
aries323

HI

Having only played the demo of Syberia 1 & 2, I can say for certain that Syberia 1 (and possible also # 2) is gorund breaking. It has a innovative story, good visuals & graphics as well as a main person (kate walker) who also is interesting and has depth as well.

The idea of kate searching for someone, and using the puzzles as a method to advance this search is, imho, the ONLY way of using puzzles in an adventure game. Also, the milieu (or place) in which the game takes place
are also innovative as well as the (minor spoiler) automations (kind of mechanical devices) is a very interesting idea.

The game, as least in the demos, feels realistic, but as the same time you feel slightly off the realistic mode, and is sort of transported into a kind of fantasy realm in which you (as kate walker) is on your own. And so you (as kate walker) are the only one to solve any problems & challenges which arises during the game.

EDIT:

I also think that the golden age of adventure games were 8-10 years ago with games like these:

KQ 4-7, Grim Fandango, Shivers 1-2, Monkey Island 1-3, Kyrandia 1-2, and Jack Orlando
(which actually is made by Jowood Production which now makes Gothic series).

Playing the Jack Orlando demo, I realized that such a game could or would not be made today.
The gameplay is way too complex, the puzzles are fairly hard, and you actually have to think about what you're doing - and the atmosphere in the game is clearly mature.

Personally, I hope that adventure & puzzle games again will be looking into the fully 3D movement as well as the FMV (cut)scenes that, IMHO, did make games like Zork:Nemesis etc.
great.

aries323

Last edited by aries323; 09-14-2006 at 09:35 AM.