View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I don't mourn for any one person who died on the 11th of September, simply because I didn't know anyone. I do, however, have strong emotional ties to the day, as do many people - I distinctly remember walking into the door after school, and the TV was on, and my mum had this look of horror on her face... and I saw those burning towers and said: "...holy shit, is someone trying to start a war?!"

I hate being 'right'.

Also, the despair of the people on that day is what moves me (and still does). Never the actual deaths, though. The people who jumped out the windows - that moves me. I can only imagine what must drive a person to throw themselves off a skyscraper, just to escape the flames. That is the 11th of September to me. Not the just under 3000 names.

There's an interesting article in the german magazine Der Spiegel wherein the author uses the phrase "America abused the sympathies of the entire world after the 11th of September". That, too, is what the date symbolises - how a nation arrogantly walked all over diplomacy. But that's a dead horse debate, and actually, I find the quoted statement to be a hyperbole, even if it makes for a great cynical summary of events since.

I hope that not too far in the future, the aftermath of that day will have positive impacts, such as the nuclear strikes of Japan have fostered an amazing culture. Note - this is not to say the event is good. It's not. But good can come of it, and I hope it will, and it likely already has.

Above all, I think it is a day that demands respect. There are many people who've yet to get over the events. I am one of them, though for different reasons; nonetheless, I want to say - if you have lost family, or know someone that has, or just care... don't let anyone tell you that's wrong, just because five years have passed since. My advice is to perhaps take a day or week off from watching television - avoid polarisations, avoid politics, avoid people like me who have nothing but a shakey, trembling snark to contribute. Honestly, don't let anyone tell you they know you better than you do yourself.

The same goes for those who are sick of the topic.

Please respect each other. (I know you're doing so on this forum, it's a general statement of hope.)

Irrelevant observation: I'm a bit annoyed that I find myself saying "nine eleven", too. I don't write my dates like that. If anything, it's 11/9. Sigh.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™