View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Rob, I agree with you.

I will avoid the TV shows because all the stations will try for the biggest and best of the coverage - some will no doubt make this a weeklong media event, to maximize their profits from this.

I have strong feelings about this horrific tragedy, but despise those who will use this to make money off of people's emotions. These are leeches of the worst kind.

If this coverage were really done from understanding and reminding us all about the details so we wouldn't forget, then use some of their profits to pay for it, and make it commercial-free. Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but I'm old enough to have seen too much of using other's emotions for profit.

Okay, off my soapbox - /rant

Like you, I'm hoping that we will get over this and start to move on. If the future major anniversaries (like 10, 15, 20, 25 years, etc.) have memorial events - that's okay by me, but having this kind of coverage each year saps the emotional strength from people, and takes them away from other important issues. Review and reflect is fine, bleeding is not.

FGM