View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm not quite sure how popular my opinion here is going to be, but I seriously hope that, after this 5th anniversary, we can at least gain a little more perspective on the issue.

This was clearly an horrific tragedy, and I don't want to trivialise it in any way, but there comes a point at which this constantly looking back becomes unhealthy. Television programmes this evening - even on this side of the Atlantic - are pretty much exclusively focused on this event, and I do wonder what possible use raking over the coals again can possibly have. From a purely personal, selfish perspective, I'm at the stage where I lose all interest in anything said after the phrase "9/11" - it has become a fashionable buzzword that has lost the vast majority of its significance - and am far more interested in the fact that today is my grandmother's birthday.

That said, my sympathies remain with those who lost family, friends and colleagues five years ago. I may not know any of them personally, and I may be taking precisely no interest in commerations today, but it is they that will have to live with the results of these events in the years to come, and nobody deserves that.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.