View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #1595
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
The Day of the Triffids

Not the 1962 movie, but the 1981 BBC TV adaptation. I've never seen a better series about mobile carnivorous plants taking over the world.

No, seriously, it's really good.
Hooray, another fan.

It's an excellent adaptation, though I seem to remember that the pacing is a little off. Half of the book is crammed into the last episode! Still, it's a much better use of the source material than the 60s B-movie - not that that takes much doing. It really makes me wish the BBC had more than 50p in their special effects budget, though - as usual, any imagery requiring them (in this case, the ravages of time on London) is evoked by dialogue alone.

To stick with the post-apocalyptic theme, I re-watched the BBC's Threads last night (featuring possibly the world's most typecast actress). Nowhere near as good as I remember it being - the short-term impact of the nuclear strike is brilliantly and chillingly done, but the long-term effects strike me as rather too pessimistic.

Still, thank God we probably no longer have to worry about the Russians letting off nuclear bombs on our faces, even if it would mean getting rid of Sheffield.