View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 05:21 AM   #270
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I think that the main problem with the general American view of British life has been perfectly demonstrated here - it's highly stereotyped and old fashioned. We don't all drink tea, we don't all worship the Queen and we aren't all polite, repressed morons. Just like you aren't all twenty pounds overweight, have IQs that make a tree look intelligent, and like running around with a US flag while shooting your guns in the air. I hate tea, I think the Queen is nothing but a novelty factor, I don't dress in a top hat and say 'spit spot old chap!' It is rubbish media that feeds crappy stereotypes of other countries like this.

Oh Scotty boy, how can us poor Brits help change the general American view that everyone here still rides around on horses and lives in castles? Or should we just leave them to their bizarre little fantasies?
What he said. The fact that I do drink tea, do think that the Queen is doing a good job and do try to be polite makes me something of an anomaly.

Just as I'm going to assume that you don't all wander round on holiday in Hawaiian shirts, knee-length socks and sandals while desperately trying to get yourselves into every photograph ever. It's just a stereotype, and the fact that I have met people that do precisely that by no means makes it the rule; after all, one tends not to notice things unless they are unusual.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.