View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #10377
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You want me to return to using this thread as some kind of personal blog, detailing the intricacies of my life in inane detail?

Okay.

28th August, 2006

I hate Bank Holidays. In a world that supposedly runs without a break, where one can go shopping on any day of the week, and where business isn't just a nine-til-five thing, it always irritates me that these bank holidays come along and disrupt the post. Maybe it's just because I'm waiting for my Season Two DVDs of Battlestar Galactica to arrive.

I'm currently engaged in a war of attrition on eBay. Or, at least, that's what it feels like to me; I'm trying to win a copy of the X-Wing Collector Edition (man, how I long for an apostrophe and an "s" in that title), but I'm also trying to win it for next to nothing. There's a guy selling loads of copies, but I keep being outbidded with mere seconds to go. Maybe soon I'll get lucky.

Star Trek: First Contact is one of my favourite films from the franchise. On a whim I watched it with Jonathan Frakes' Director's Commentary on, and it was clear from listening to it what a blast he had on the film. Unfortunately, that's about all I gained - aside from about five random trivia points - because Frakes was obviously fairly inexperienced at the whole commentary lark. Ends of sentences went uncompleted, long moments of silence existed, and so on. A shame, because when he actually finished making a point it was generally an interesting one.

There's only a month left to go, sadly, until I return to the grand old world of university. Just enough time to fit in some Broken Sword: The Angel of Death, if I'm lucky, alongside the obligatory reading - I really need to do more of this if I'm going to have any idea about medieval Europe post-Constantine when I get back - and finishing off the organisation for my college music society's end-of-term concert. Pre-bookings and staff holidays have conspired to ensure that I still don't know where the concert is actually going to be taking place, though I'm hopeful that someone is going to get back to me tomorrow about it and I can finall sort this all out. I never did get around to finishing relaunching my website. Oh well, another year passes and nobody much cares about that. Which is why I should probably tell you about it. I won't, though. I'll spare you for now.

One Dodgy Ball. I suspect The Sun managed to come up with some suitably innuendo-filled headline along those lines in relation to the ball tampering incident up at The Oval recently. For those of you who don't know, the Pakistan cricket team was accused of ball-tampering, and the resulting protest and communication failures led to the first ever forfeiting of a test match. Yes, the first ever. England were the beneficiaries - hooray, I suppose - though they probably didn't deserve to win given some dismal batting on the opening day. Retaining The Ashes is looking rather unlikely, but then that's what I suspected as soon as we won them.

Friends come and go. More of the latter in my case. I've rather worryingly managed to lose touch with a good friend of mine who emigrated to Australia last year; last thing I heard he was off to start some art course, but he hasn't been online since. I should try chasing him up by email again, because it always depresses me when I lose touch with friends. Come to think of it, I'm pretty good at managing this. I can count the number of school friends that I still speak to on the fingers of my hands with some to spare, and it's a testament to my extreme unpopularity that precisely two people from university have actually spoken to me except in replies to my occasional music society-related emails. It's nice to feel loved, you know...

I think I'm becoming a tad "Weird Al" Yankovic-obsessed. I've lost track of the number of times that I've listened to "Don't Download This..." in recent days, and I'm currently debating going on some spending spree to obtain some of his albums. Oh for cheaper prices for the things in the UK.

Breakfast was non-existent, lunch was cheese omlette and dinner was pasta. How exciting. My congratulations to those of you - or should that just be to you singular? - who bothered to read all of this. I suppose that vaguely means something to me. Who knows, though?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 08-28-2006 at 01:56 PM.