View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #15
Len Green

ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
I have beta-tested 2 dozen games (as you know personally) ... and am presently beta-testing 4 more :-

One of the worst bugs (after game stoppers & crashes) are dead ends of ANY SORT WHATSOEVER.
They are a deep & bad programming error and have to be eliminated by the Developer(s).

There is not the slightest excuse for any Developer(s) to release a game with a SINGLE dead end, and since there very frequently are 1 or more initially, it is 100% up to the beta-testers to discover any and inform the Developer(s)... who from my experience always 'repair' it.

There is no question whatsoever about whether the player "should" or should not have done ANYTHING (get key, save fuses, not exit the room ... all that is totally irrelevant)

If that key is essential at any time during the game, shortly after leaving the room for example, or only at the very end of the game (it makes absolutely no difference) it is up to the Developer(s) to ensure that EVERY PLAYER (since everybody plays the game in different ways & 'orders') can obtain it one way or another and WITHOUT THE NECESSITY OF RELOADING ANY SAVE GAME.

I don't see that there are any ifs or buts about it ???

I could write a lot more about the chaos & justified criticisms whenever a dead-end is found in a game ... but I think it is obvious to everybody !!