View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #10110
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
How come you got the opportunity to attend an operation? Surgery is not the first thing I come to think about when thinking about places to go for work experience. Especially since you're into History.

The smell during autopsy is also special. In between highschool and uni I worked a year as a char-woman at a hospital. I cleaned the morgue for a couple of weeks and got to see (among a lot of interesting things) an autospy.
There's a very simple explanation, actually. I almost chose to do medicine instead, before dropping the idea for a number of reasons (mostly because the work available in the UK is in something of a state of flux, and nobody could even give me an idea of what I could expect to be doing in twenty years' time). Of course, I dropped the idea after I'd done the work experience, though it was thoroughly interesting and enjoyable stuff.

Mind you, with my lack of bedside manner, I'd almost certainly make an atrocious doctor .

Oh, and I've never sat in on an autopsy, but I did see a freshly dead body. They get this strange kind of waxy effect, which makes it all a bit surreal. The closest I've come to autopsy is in watching the great Gunther von Hagen (he of the crazy hat) at work on some television programmes. I'm the kind of person who loves watching that kind of thing.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.