View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 AM   #218
Thilodius
The Jackal

I'll admit, I stopped reading after 1 1/2 pages of this thread, and if anyone actually gets to this post I'd be suprised, but here's my input:

Perhaps The Last Express is the key to successful modern adventure games? Situational, logical puzzles, requiring you to think but not necessarily use crazy items together to create some sort of Incredible Machine (c), an enticing story, and most importantly a real-time, 3D area to explore. Think about a mix between this sort of game, and Half-Life 2, where you are thrust upon this fantastic, heart-wrenching adventure, but instead of giving you an arsenal of *guns*, you are an underdog in the true sense who must use his wit and brainpower to overcome his foes and progress the storyline.

So, fully 3D, perhaps even relying on physics as much as HL2 did, but instead of a shooting game, make it a thinking game. As I see it, HL2 had great story and characters - why not add items and cerebral puzzles (fast or slow paced, we dont have to be solving Myst-esque puzzles here) and take away the guns, and see what happens? The imminent and very real danger of an action game is preserved, but killing an enemy isnt so simple as shooting him in the face - perhaps killing at all is not a wise choise. All I know is, I would play that game, and I feel like others would too. I also think that would be much more engaging than a sort of RPG/Adventure hybrid, seeing as RPG's really do imply some sort of combat.

IMO, combat isnt required for the modern gamer to enjoy a game, just gameplay that really sucks the player into the story and makes him feel like he's been through an epic adventure. This doesnt have to be with weapons, as I said - just immersive and well-designed, real-time puzzle oriented gameplay.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Gravity gun is of course a great example of a tool with which you can accomplish things, whether it be solving puzzles, getting from point A to point B, or killing something indirectly, without an actual lethal capacity. Then lean puzzles away from "launch blade into enemy" and you've got yourself something that might look more like an adventure game aspect. Just a thought.

Last edited by Thilodius; 08-18-2006 at 01:30 AM.