Thread: GK3 Review
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 05:37 AM   #1
Cellardoor

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor
Default GK3 Review

I'd like to comment on the review of Gabriel Knight 3. While I understand that a score of 4 stars out of 5 is excellent, I think it's unfair in comparison to the scores the other GK games.

I understand that GK has some flaws which disqualifies the game for a perfect score, the other two games suffered from flaws as well. GK1 - which did receive a perfect score - is much more flawed in my opinion. Let's take a look at the cons listed in the review.

Quote:
Contains some illogical/outright silly puzzles.
The review is a bit unclear on this. The motorcycle puzzle is mentioned as being 'absurd'. I personally think this was a great puzzle. The goal seemed obvious enough to me, and certainly not illogical.

Quote:
The back-story is so huge, the game takes a "tell don't show" cast by the end.
I don't see how this could be a negative point. The backstory is huge indeed, which is what makes the game so great.

Quote:
The linear "time block" design can be frustrating due to the posibility of missing story elements and uncued actions required to complete them.
The possibility of missing story elements is what gives GK3 great replayability. Besides, missing the optinional story element doesn't screw up the plot in any way, it's just an interesting bonus.

I agree that it's sometimes not entirely clear what needs to be done in order to finish a time block, but it wasn't hard to figure it out. Besides that, the timeblocks make an excellent addition to the game.

Quote:
The endgame contains action sequences and puzzle elements that can be frustrating.
There's actually only one action sequence, the one with the pendulum. The other sequences weren't time-based and required logical reasoning in order to advance. I also didn't think they were frustrating at all.

Quote:
Blocky 3-D character models.
Oh, so you're doing a flashback friday review and you're criticizing the graphics? What happened to the idea of judging a game based on the time it was released in?

Long story short; This is probably the first time I disagree with content on AGers. If GK3 doesn't deserve a five star rating, none do. 8-)