View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
Stoofa
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Well, it is indeed not healthy to eat potato eyes or green patches of potatoes when they're raw (and even when they're cooked, you should be wary, especially of green parts and sprouts, as those contain toxins). The green parts of the potato plant are poisonous (same with tomatoes, eggplant, etc.).

Potatoes are plants of the Nightshade family, just like tomatoes. Most plants of the nightshade family have poison somewhere in them (if not everywhere). Children should not be allowed to eat the green bud on even ripe tomatoes (and neither should anyone eat unripe tomatoes), because their bodies require a smaller amount of poison to be dangerous. Adults are a bit more resistant, though I would still be careful.

-

Researching Nightshade is actually how I discovered that potato eyes will not kill you instantly! I already knew not to eat green potatoes (it's something that was drilled into me from a child) but the potato eyes thing I think my grandmother told me, she probably heard it as a superstition. She believes in all of the old superstitions, for example that cats will steal your breath in the night.