View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #178
Ariel Type
LA-S-LE

Bobske
Quote:
I think it's a bit to easy to say when another company releases a game (earlier) with more and better features, like Curse of Enchantia or Meanstreets, that Sierra or LA for that matter, aren't real pioneers. How many adventure games were released after COE by the same company. How many of those games were cutting edge? I agree that UAKM was cutting edge (great use of 3D and FMV) but The Pandora Directive was essentially the same game and Overseer tried to be cutting edge but unfortunately the use of DVD didn't really take off. Too many bugs and bad support...
After Curse of Enchantia Core Design made Tomb Raider, so there was a revolution here (though I personally hate TR)
And Access actually improved UAKM. While technology remained the same (it didn't actually need any improvement, as it was ahead of its time), PD had a much deeper plot, better puzzles and a very high replayability - 6 or 7 endings! I guess that's enough for a great sequel. Overseer had even better plot and puzzles, though it was planned to be much better then it turned out to be.
As for Sierra - I agree that the company tried to make a use of new technologies. But Lucas Arts.. Well, there are multiple characters (MM and Zak), replayability (FoA), non-linearity (DoTT), companion (Sam&Max), verb coin (Full Throttle!, CofMI), unique gameplay (Loom).. LA games weren't "all the same", after all.