View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 08:51 AM   #23
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
I just think it's wrong to blame the tourists, who by the way are already helping the economy by choosing the US (or whatever country) as their holiday destination. BJ's abhorrence should be aimed at a system that leaves employees in such a vulnerable position in the first place in my opinion.
I think people who live off tips have the right to complain about people who don't tip or tip inadequately so consider yourself forewarned. Try lecturing someone you just left a bad tip to that the reason they are not making a livable wage is the inadequacy of their government. In their eyes, the poor-tipping customer is the problem.

Quote:
Don't they have unions?
Unions in the U.S. are generally localized (mostly in the Northeast and Midwest) and usually don't extend to service economy employees. Anti-union sentiment is huge where I live (North Carolina) and will never likely gain hold here.

Quote:
The onus is on the employers and unfortunately, from what BJ is telling us, the US system has a major loop hole that leaves employees vulnerable to exploitation - that, frankly, in this day and age is a disgrace.
The system is what it is right now and so the onus to tip is on the paying customer. So no matter whether you're a visitor here or a citizen, tip at least 15%.