View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
CrimsonBlue

Not better, but not too bad. But I feel like I've been playing this game for years already, I must be getting tired of the concept. It's far too early to tell if this surpasses the GTA games, but I can already tell you a couple of things that stands in the way to do that. Driving physics are shit - it's just no fun to drive around. That's what every gta clone has done wrong, and they continue doing that. A game where driving's such a essential part of the game, it's strange how they never seem to make a decent driving physics. GTA aren't extremely great either, but it's fun to drive, and it feels tight enough to make you feel you've accomplished something when you do a perfect handbreak turn. The only other game that's surpassed GTA in this aspect is Driver, but those games are all about driving physics.

I'm only dreaming of a GTA game with Driver physics. Parallell Lines sort of had this, but the driving had unfortunately been dumbed down somewhat and they completely removed the trademark of the series - the burnout button.

The good thing about GTA, is that everything it does is done well. Not perfect, but well enough to be fun and challenging. The only thing GTA really sucks at is shooting, but even that is acceptable overall.

But anyway, Saints Row looks to be a great game, but only if it lets you use the triggers and fix the driving physics. To aim when shooting out of the window, you have to let go of the accelerator and/or break, and move the camera with the right stick, at the same time as you're steering and shooting with the right trigger. And who the hell thought putting the handbreak on the left trigger when you're already steering with the left stick? It's just wrong).

Oh, and the framerate is unforgivable.