View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Litrick
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDread
The reason for the exclusion of HD support is simple: adding the feature would drive the price up.

With the console set at between $200 and $250, it's the only one that I'm going to get on release. I personally don't want to pay over $300 for a video game console.

For Nintendo's 6th console, they'll include HD support, as the cost will be cheap enough to keep the console affordable.

With the majority of people not having an HD TV (myself included), this is a smart idea for Nintendo. I don't want to pay extra for the console just because they decided to add an expensive component that I won't be using this generation.
Fair enough. i agree, most people are in this situation. However it is changing very rapidly as HDTVs become more and more affordable. Analysts predicts the PS3 to last up to ten years, this may be a little optimstic, however you can state with some certainty that a console which does not support the largest growing TV format will defineatly not have a particuarly long life. So im guessing Nintendo factor this in, and only want a short life cycle from their product, hence the low pricing. Most people are probably more willing to fork out $250 every two years rather than double the amount no matter the perceived life time of the product. So, they know who they are targetting for their market, and it looks like they are doing a good job and will most likely be successful. But, at the end of the day.. No HD, and while other factors may be appealing, this is enough to put me off