View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #9267
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
What do you recommend for a Gotland holiday. I'll be visiting the island from the 6th-13th of August. I know about the Medieval week in Visby, but I guess it'll be crowded. I'll be staying close to Östergarn/Katthammarsvik.
Well, Östergarn is a good choice. If you walk along the coast of Grogarnsberget, you'll find yourself at the most beautiful place on earth. (It's not just me saying that - a couple that's lived in many places (Austria, Fiji, ...) made that claim. I'm only agreeing.)

The 6th there'll also be the annual club mastership race for Östergarnsbåtar in Katthammarsvik, where they're sailing wooden boats of old Gotlandic design. It starts at one o clock. (The midsomer race is more aimed at the general public, but it's still nice to see the boats sail.)

You're right that the Medieval week gets crowded. It's a bit of fun, but it's a lot of people. The big events are on the sundays, and then there's the tournaments (only one got canceled after one of the knights got struck by lightning and died - the rest seems to go on as planned). The tournament on Wednesday is later, and will have more fire juggling and things like that.

Speaking of medieval, the 90 medieval churches are worth looking at if you like that sort of thing (despite their similarities, they differ quite a bit between themselves). Maybe you can catch some good music in one of them aswell. There's a lot of that during the summer, in various styles.

It's been warm, so bathing is a good idea. Close to Katthammarsvik, Sandviken is the best beach. Sudersand on Fårö and Tofta south of Visby are the big beaches on Gotland. (Check out this site about the toxic "algae flowers".)

If you want to see raukar, Fårö and Folhammar are the best places for that. The famous Hoburg Man is nothing special. Hoburgen is still nice to see, but don't expect good raukar there.

And then I guess I should plug my sister's shop a bit. She's a potter in Katthammarsvik, and quite talented. There are road signs "Keramik & Hantverk" that point to her.