View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #18
Snatcher42

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Well, there is a VESA mode for DOS included with the CD version - you can select it in the setup program - and I have gotten it running playable but choppy on my machine (also an Alienware) - still no sound fx in the videos, but the map and dialogue screens look sharper... I just think that DOSBox isn't emulating fast enough to run it well, thats all. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn
I tried the VESA mode, but, like you said, it don't work to well. The movies would crash the game, and it ran VERY slow. I think the audio might have been scratchy too, but I don't remember. I think the reason for that was because the VESA was only meant for Windows. I could be wrong though. I just remember from ages past when I played it, I could never get the game to look as good in DOS as it did in Windows. For one thing, the movies lack sound effects in the DOS (VGA) version, lightning..motorcycle...etc. And the icons were much smaller, and the usuable objects appeared much clearer. I have a feeling the VGA version will probably be the best we'll ever be able to get out of DOSBox.

Oh, I have an Alienware computer, with 2.16 Gig AMD processor. So it ain't a shabby machine.