View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #1473
Spiwak
is not wierd

I haven't liked Kevin Smith for a long while. I'll wait till video/cable.

Melinda and Melinda - Wow I can't believe I missed this when it came to theaters. I thought Match Point was Woody Allen's "return," so to say, but actually this movie was really good I thought. Maybe not on the same level as his older classics, but at least it shows that from Anything Else (which I was pleased with) and on he's been on an uphill climb from the trudge he's been coming out with since Sweet and Lowdown. Here's to Scoop keeping him afloat for another year!

In the Company of Men - Ah yes, Neil Labute has an extraordinary gift for making me hate being human. In this case, being a male. The film sometimes lags from the lack of visually interesting material (so many long immobile shots, however they are beautifully composed), but nevertheless the play of personalities keeps things going as well as the sadness that comes during the tragic and ultimately fake conversations that are held through most of the movie. I spent a lot fo time just trying to pick out what was genuine and what was just words, when it came to both male conversations and romantic ones. Only Neil Labute, only Neil Labute.