View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #83
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Quite nice, Moriarty. I don't know music very well, but it sounds good to my ears. I'd like to hear a better quality recording.
I don't know how I can do that, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I'm impressed by your music, Prism is absolutely beautiful! Were you inspired by Michael Nyman's music to the movie The Piano?
Never heard of that movie. Truth is, I don't listen to much. Since you ask where the inspiration came from, I've got to tell you the story behind the music. It was actually inspired by the game design of Beyond Good & Evil- when I played the demo for the first time, and saw how effortlessly Ancel moved between types of gameplay, I thought to myself, "If he can jump between art forms, why can't I jump between styles?". And the idea of art which looks at different styles not as mutually exclusive but as different paints in a palette sort of got stuck in my head. And then I didn't think about it again for a long time. But ideas like this always stick with you, whether you realize it or not. Gradually, without my being conscious of it, my music was moving toward this ideal, jumping from style to style all the time. Eventually I realized what I was doing and decided to utilize the "meta-style" consciously (and more blatantly) in a full piece (as opposed to the improvisations I do more often). Hence the name. It starts and ends in baroque, but in the middle there's lots of other stuff- pop, postromantic, impressionist. I'm glad you liked it despite the terrible quality of the file.