View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #1452
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Hard Candy

Irritating. Don't misunderstand me, it's not a bad movie - but it's not good, either.
Spoiler:
You can't sympathise with anyone in it, except for the neighbour, who's only tangentially involved. You spend the movie thinking you can sympathise for one person, and then that's snagged from you, too. That gave the movie nothing. It just took away from it.

It's not a nice movie. I suppose it doesn't try to be, so perhaps I'm doing it no justice by disliking it on that basis. But it doesn't really answer questions, you sympathise with no one, you are left thinking er, yeah, right.

Spoiler:
You wonder where they left the part where he grabs her and skins her alive as would be just. Instead she gets away with it, the little fuckwit.

I don't want to alienate anyone from watching this movie - like I said, it is definitely not bad. But it's not good for popcorn, and it's the type of movie that just makes you angry. It doesn't really leave you wanting to answer the questions for yourself, either. You just leave, feel unsatisfied, and credit the movie as okay because it was acted more than decently and the plot is unique and they tried some fancy stuff with the camera.

Heh.

Okay, so maybe it's hard to give a review of this movie that isn't a full rant. Seriously, though, it's not all bad. Give it a shot. I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you see it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™