View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #28
Melkor
Evil Incarnate

My dad was a beta-tester for 'Internet In a Box', I think the browser was called 'Air Mosaic' if I'm not mistaken (the one that eventually became Netscape?). I think it was in 92 or 93. I remember having a blast at the early message boards, talking to people from all over was so awesome at the time.

My dad has been in computers since the seventies, so we always had a PC and a modem, and we'd browse the BBS' of the programming geeks my dad knew, downloading all kinds of stuff. I remember my dad was always so angry with the size of the games at the time, he was like; "Holy shit, the game is over one megabyte! That's gonna take all night!". That was when games started to get graphic, the early Sierra days and the like. But even before that, the games over 200kb was quite a drag to get down. A kb in those days felt much bigger than a megabyte does now. Strange to think about it in retrospect.

I'm currently downloading two videos at the same time, both about 200Mb in size. They'll be done in a couple of minutes, and I just started them when I started writing this post. Haha, pretty insane. Just imagine us sitting here ten years from now laughing at videos at 200Mb. "WTF, 200Mb? They must have been compressed, and in some kind of ridiculous resolution".