Thread: Are you a nerd?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Do the words geek and nerd only apply to computer obsessions of different kinds or is it possible to be a geek or nerd beacuse of devotion of any interest?
The latter, of course. That's why there are band geeks, among several other kinds.

By the way, wasn't the original meaning of "geek" something to do with carnies biting the heads off of chickens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Hardly! I'm a nerd and proud of it. The nerd in me definitely outways the non-nerd, but when need be, I can suppress my geeky tendancies and appear somewhat normal on the outside. It's like a camouflage I use to lure the ladies into my geeky dwellings.
What bothers me is this: why would you ever need to suppress your geeky tendencies, if you really are as proud to be a geek as you claim you are? It's not like women aren't interested in geeks - unless, of course, you're going after the wrong kind of woman...

As a side note, I'm also bothered by how being geeky/nerdy/dorky is now considered fashionable, thanks to such pop culture icons as Napoleon Dynamite. It's really not fair to those of us who were geeks for years and constantly got picked on for it.